This experiment went deliciously right.
I had leftover chicken, and strawberries, and I didn’t want to simply combine them in a wrap like I might normally do. I wanted something NEW. Chicken salad! But what to use for the sauce? Mustard with strawberries would not fly.
I had maple syrup and lime juice. Maple-lime? I wasn’t sure if people did that…but I was doing it now!
And now my mouth is very happy for it.
To make 1-2 servings of this delightful springish salad…
First, blend these together in a small bowl:
- 2 large spoonfuls of mayo
- A generous drizzle of real maple syrup
- A teaspoon or so of lime juice
Second, combine all these ingredients:
- Half a chicken breast, chopped
- 4 medium strawberries, chopped
- About a tablespoon of minced red onion (go easy on the onion and add more if needed…too much red onion flavor is an easy way to ruin a sandwich!)
- A small handful of sliced or slivered almonds
Add as much of the sauce to the dry ingredients as needed, stir it all together, and adjust any ingredients to taste. Serve atop a green bed of lettuce on any sandwich or wrap, or even just wrap in a big lettuce leaf for a lettuce wrap. I perched mine atop romaine on a beautifully deformed bagel – so tasty. Enjoy!
This might be tasty with some fresh basil or cilantro in it…if you try it, let me know!